Prince Harry and Meghan’s planned return to Britain is already raising questions, with U.K. Prime Minister Andy Burnham weighing in on the couple’s security arrangements.
Asked whether the government would cover their security, Burnham described the issue as a “private matter.”
At the same time, news of Harry and Meghan’s imminent relocation to the U.K. has left internet users shocked and full of questions about what prompted the sudden change.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s reported return to Britain is already drawing questions at the highest level of government.
U.K. Prime Minister Andy Burnham was asked Thursday whether taxpayers would fund security for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex as they prepare to relocate their family from California.
“This is a private matter,” Burnham said. “It’s a matter for Harry and for Meghan. And we wish them well in the move that they’re making.”
According to The Telegraph, Burnham was not suggesting the couple should privately fund their protection. His comments instead meant that their security arrangements should not be publicly discussed. Decisions over protection would fall to the Home Office and the relevant security committee.
Reportedly, Harry and Meghan will spend an extended period in the U.K., with their children expected to begin school there in September. The move marks a significant shift for Harry, who previously said he did not feel comfortable bringing his family to Britain without adequate security.
Harry And Meghan’s UK Return Leaves Fans Full Of Questions
However, news of the move has left netizens shocked, with many wondering exactly what changed, given the state of relations between the Sussexes and the royal family.
“I have so many questions,” a Reddit user wrote. “What led to this decision? What’s different? What shifted in the family dynamics? Did the Royals agree to their terms? Is Charles okay? Is there any sort of reconciliation in the family beyond just that meeting Harry and Charles had? Status of the brothers’ relationship?”
Another user said, “I am confused as to why they’re keeping the huge CA estate.”
Some even speculated that the move had something to do with Charles’ mortality, with one user noting, “The discourse around this is already crazy. Some are saying they’re broke. Others say they don’t get the attention they used to, which is why they’re moving. People think Charles is about to die.”
On X, other royal fans said Harry’s visa issues had continued to cast a shadow over their stay, as well as their alleged financial woes.
Harry’s Security Concerns Resurface Ahead Of UK Return
Before the latest development, the Duke was scheduled to visit the UK again in September, having traveled there more than a month earlier for private and charitable engagements.
At the time, Harry and Meghan, together with their children, privately met Charles and Camilla at Highgrove House, but details of that meeting have been kept from the public.
Security has remained an issue for the Sussexes, with Harry previously complaining that he couldn’t take his family to his home country for fear of their safety following RAVEC’s decision to cancel his police protection.
He has been trying to reinstate his taxpayer-funded security and was involved in a court case with RAVEC. He eventually lost the case after the Court of Appeal upheld RAVEC’s decision to provide him with bespoke, case-by-case security rather than automatic round-the-clock protection when visiting Britain.
PM Keeps Harry And Meghan’s Security Plans Under Wraps
With that, details of the exact location where they’ll be settling, as well as the school their children will attend, remain sealed to protect the family’s security and privacy.
Weighing in on security arrangements ahead of their return to the country, British Prime Minister Andy Burnham said it was a “private matter.”
“It’s a matter for Harry and for Meghan, and we wish them well in the move that they are making,” he added, per the BBC.
The Home Office, rather than the prime minister personally, is responsible for overseeing decisions on royal security, with the relevant executive committee assessing protection needs. Recent reporting has also indicated that the government does not publicly discuss specific security arrangements.
Allies Believe Their UK Return Gives Them A ‘Half In, Half Out’ Opening”
Meanwhile, Charles is said to have warned them that their relocation back to the UK does not change their status as private citizens and non-working members of the royal family.
However, those close to them believe it changes everything and allows them to successfully execute their “half in, half out” model of royal duties.
They had explicitly asked for a hybrid model that would allow them to earn their own income through independent business and media ventures while still representing the Crown in some capacity. However, Queen Elizabeth rejected the proposal during a high-level meeting in early 2020.
With a base in Britain, Harry essentially gets to pursue his charity commitments with Scotty’s Little Soldiers and WellChild, while Meghan continues to lead her As Ever brand, particularly as they plan to hold on to their Californian mansion.
Reports suggest she’ll be leading the brand and championing future projects from their international bases, while Harry pursues causes close to his heart in his home country.
